Length of Tour: 3 Day / 2 Night
Tour Dates: Selected Monday and Wednesday departures from June to September 2016. Please enquire.
Departure Months: June to September
Community: Tiwi Islands
Cost 2 night / 3 day:
- Fly/Fly Darwin/Tiwi Islands/Darwin AUD$2,500 per person
- Cruise/Fly Darwin/Tiwi Islands/Darwin AUD$2,425 per person
Cost 3 night / 4 day:
- Fly/Fly Darwin/Tiwi Islands/Darwin AUD$3,300 per person
- Cruise/Fly Darwin/Tiwi Islands/Darwin AUD$3,225 per person
Pickup Point: Please make your own way to the Airport or Ferry launch
- SeaLink ferry or flights from Darwin
- Visitor Permits from the Tiwi Island Council
- Tiwi Art workshop with local artists
- Walking tour with Tiwi guide
- Mission Precinct & Cultural Museum tour
- Two nights accommodation at Melville Island Lodge
- All meals and non-alcoholic drinks
- Half day coastal sightseeing on small boats
- Option for fishing for NT’s world famous barramundi
- Sunset excursion and drinks overlooking Shark Bay
- Scenic flight to Melville Island
- Coastal wilderness Lodge accommodation
- Ferry transfers
- Tiwi art & culture
- Top end fishing
- Guided sightseeing
- Coastal exploration
Limited to just 12 guests per tour, this tour is a rare opportunity to experience remote island life on the Northern Territory’ s Tiwi Islands. Famed for a unique style of textile art and carvings, a thriving culture and pristine wilderness, the Tiwi Islands (comprising Melville and Bathurst Islands), are only a short distance from the tropical city of Darwin, accessible by ferry or light aircraft. Wurrumiyanga (formerly Nguiu)on Bathurst Island boasts three art centres, the culture museum, the old Catholic mission precinct, as well as Pukamani (burial) poles in the cemetery.
Day 1 Depart Darwin today for the small community of Wurrimyanga on Bathurst Island where you will be joined by your local Tiwi guide. Following a Tiwi welcome of totem dances and smoking ceremony, join your guide on a slow paced walking tour to the main areas of interest – art centre, culture museum, historic mission precinct. Enjoy a behind the scenes screen printing workshop before your scenic flight from Bathurst Island to Melville Island to your accommodation at Melville Island Lodge located on the fringe of the small Tiwi Island’s community of Milikapiti.
Day 2 Today’s activities include coastal sightseeing and a fishing expedition, capped off with sunset drinks overlooking Shark Bay near your accommodation.
Day 3Spend the morning at Jilamara Arts and Muluwurri Museum, meet the artists at work, and browse or buy quality Tiwi art. After lunch enjoy a scenic flight back to Darwin.
Optional Add On Day 3 Free time for relaxation at Melville Island Lodge or re-visit Jilamara Arts. Optional visit to the Milikapati Sports and Social Club where you will be able to meet local Tiwi people. Dinner and overnight at Melville Island Lodge.
Day 4 After breakfast, board the boat for the Goose Creek wildlife encounter. Cruise the remote creek and wetland system to find wild buffalo, crocodiles, abundant birdlife and untouched wilderness. Return to the lodge to refresh then board your charter flight back to Darwin.
The Lodge has single occupancy and twin share rooms. Rooms are air-conditioned with adjacent guest bathrooms.